Using Nuke's rotoPaint node, one can remove elements such as unwanted rope from their shots by using fairly simple digital painting techniques. For example, the clone tool, smear, blur and painting colour.
It is what is called 'invisible work' as it is not meant to be known to ever exist in the first place. After all, filmmaking is trickery and often staged and faked. Such techniques are to make things either more appealing or more realistic. Another good example is the light I removed in Sh041 (visible in this post.)
Here is an example of a 'Conjure' shot in progress:
I have also toyed with some colour correction, which needs some work, but for me it looks more like what I want from the shot rather than the warm image above it.
Of course it isn't as simple as painting one frame if the camera and other elements are moving. One has to track the painting into the footage, and any other painting done for areas which are out of frame in the beginning, as well as roto anything which is in front of the painted-out element. The character in this case moves on top of the rope. So he needs to be rotoscoped:
If I had left this shot without roto'ing the character and compositing this back on top of the repainting:
The area of painted wall would be on top of the arm as if a part of his arm was invisible or missing:
This is then the rotoscoped arm over the repainting:
So, this is what I have by this stage:
Hopefully this stands to demonstrate some of my compositing and cleanup processes I am using shot to shot.








No comments:
Post a Comment