Thursday, 27 June 2013

Curved Edges

In the environment I was given, the edges of the room are very hard-edged and in perfect right-angles. In reality, this is obviously very rare, only ever really seen in maths textbooks.

In my previous projects, this was one problem I hope to move on from.

I have thus far thought up three options of how to go about this:

  • Merging objects and adding geometry to curve the edges of the room. However, this in theory would then create a perfect curve. Also unrealistic.
  • So, the next option would be to use Mudbox to create rubble, bumps and imperfections. This would either entail sculpting and exporting a displacement map (and dealing with that in Maya), or re-importing the object with high subdivision levels - brave on the processing front.
  • The third, and most convincing, option is to use photographs from the environment to inform the camera angles and composite the edges of the room into the render. This of course is up for testing to see if it can be roto'd and sync'd into the environment. But, I believe at this stage it will consist of making sure the textures and the compositing edge elements are similar and therefore easier to composite together. This of course fits much better into my Programme of Study which is based around high-end compositing.

No comments:

Post a Comment