Wednesday, 23 January 2013

Fleshed-out Script (Update)

So, the script writing process has had me sat down in lively and productive exchanges with collaborators Jeppe Nielsen, Michal Zagorski and Mark Grossi on a couple of occasions. We were basically letting the noggins re-enter the world of the story and tie up all of the lingering issues or thoughts and get a full narrative together using the fairly complex material we had already. It must be said that after two mornings doing just that, and touching up the document in Celtx afterwards both afternoons, we are pleased with the clarity we have at this stage in the script. It just needs tweaked and tweaked, little by little. Any impracticalities or deeper issues will be ironed out, and the piece needs visualised concretely in terms of cinematic shots, shooting locations, scene transitions, the compositing effects explored and the likes. It works as a story first and foremost. So, the next stage is simultaneous script tweaks and storyboarding. Then getting the cast and crew locked before we shoot in May. 
The script I feel is at a stage to share with peers and such for feedback:


Reflection on practice: The plot has a fair amount of twists and turns, but I still feel it is simple and short. In our meetings I always drum in the idea that I am one guy, and can only produce one guy's amount of compositing effects. I wanted to have say three 'main shots' and a limited number of techniques I will focus on in my masters, using this piece. I feel we have produced a script which supports this study plan.
Although, the storyboarding stage will formalise the techniques required and therefore the test shots which are next in the production line along with storyboarding.
We shoot the plates in May. I will then produce as many of the compositing effects required until the end of the programme. Some shots will require no post effects, other than grading. I will display what I have and update my showreel. The shots will work as complete images which hold story in it's composition. This stands as a piece of academic and visual effects work in itself. If there are still shots left or re-shoots to co-ordinate after that then we can continue on with the project succeeding the end date of my masters degree. That is how we work. 
Considering the collaborations involved, and somewhat additionally my prior experience in the field, the roles of this project are well shared and spread at the moment, for me personally. I believe myself to be simply a compositor with a hands-on attention (okay, a heavy one) to the shots he will be compositing.

After doing too much leg work in my previous student film 'My City' where I dug myself a deep hole and had to study and re-write my way out of it (to improve the film) I believe I have a good idea of the essence of what is important to make a film effective, simple and correct and where detail is needed to be spend developing and working on. This means I don't waste as much time, and ultimately feel I will make a better and more audience-orientated piece (moving on from kind of art animation films.) And, I feel I am collaborating in the correct areas and currently developing a bigger crew so the standard of professional practice in my process is progressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment