This test is useful in testing my final footage and understanding where I will add atmosphere and fog into the shot. After looking at my references, with one having a lot of fog I feel I have overdone the fog/atmosphere in this sketch. The reference (in a previous post) from Scorsese's Hugo shows the use of particular areas of smoke and steam rather than the entire frame.
In the former reference from Jellyfish Pictures I believe they may have been using the smoke and atmosphere effect to detract the eye from the fact that the composited footage was shot at different places and times. The fact that I have a very beautiful shot to work with means I need to pick my areas which I want to add atmosphere into.
This test has helped, and I believe that the smoke should appear first of all from the extractor fan, and I think at the moment from the top left of the frame, with an overall atmosphere of fog applied.
Obviously, the execution of the effect isn't too realistic, if I have to explain it is a sketch and this will be 'perfected' for August.
There are such things as a light in shot which will be masked out with a cleanplate, beer company's names on cardboard boxes to paint out and using my photograph of a GRID in order to calculate lens distortion for these fog and other effects to work on first of all.

No comments:
Post a Comment